Director of Sports Sales, Tulsa Sports Commission
The director of sports sales is responsible for creating and implementing all the tactics of the sales department to promote and sell the destination to all group sports business across all sports market segments. Developing strategies and tactics to utilize existing relationships and assets in the Tulsa market to grow the sports tourism market in the Tulsa region through local, national and international sports groups and stakeholders.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
- Assist in preparation of annual sports sales plan and budget in conjunction with vice president of sales. Responsible for working to sales plan and budget.
- Develop focused account sales strategies; determine competitors’ business and react accordingly.
- Establish sales policies and procedures to maximize revenue in the region as well as to keep stakeholders appropriately informed.
- Manage sales effort on a day-to-day basis; ensure the sales staff is strategically progressing; develop and sustain measures of accountability via goals and annual Key Performance Indicators (KPI).
- Ability to train, motivate and strategically work with staff to meet departmental goals.
- Establish specific annual room night goals for the Sports market segment.
- Work in conjunction with the VP of sales and director of experience to deliver on the contractual obligations of sports event contracts.
- Responsible for presenting with sales team for all contracted sports events a pre- and post-event business report to the leadership team and finance committee based on budgeted and contracted obligations for every sports event.
- Represent Tulsa Sports Commission at appropriate site visits; participate in closing business as appropriate.
- Review and present incentives for closing sports business leads to the VP of sales for approval.
- Attend appropriate meetings in the community (i.e., MTHLA, DOS, Team Tulsa, etc.) Maintain relationships with all stakeholders.
- Create and host FAMs and other “high-profile” or priority business, as appropriate.
- Participate in education or training programs related to sales, marketing, communications/public relations,
- Responsible for achieving a satisfactory rating annually as it relates to approved annual objectives and KPI’s.
- Accountable by assuring that all direct reporting staff, if applicable, has achieved their annual development goals.
- Perform other incidental and related duties as required and assigned.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Bachelor's degree in sports management, sales/marketing, meetings destinations management or business administration.
- A minimum of five years' experience in supervisory capacity in a sports commission or DMO/CVB/national governor body or related field; demonstrated success in. sports industry sales and management: tour and travel; convention, or event sales and marketing.
- Must have 2-4 years of supervision and leadership of other full-time and part-time staff.
- Must have sports specific industry experience in sales or event management and direct experience and relationships with national governing bodies and events rights holders.
- Excellent knowledge of sales and marketing techniques.
- Thorough knowledge of sports and convention sales.
- Excellent written and verbal skills; ability to speak publicly and represent Tulsa Regional Tourism and Tulsa Sports Commission as required.
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office programs required.
- Working knowledge of SimpleView preferred.
- Capable to thrive in a fast-paced environment. Ability to prioritize and manage multiple projects at one time.
- Detail oriented with strong analytical and organizational skills.
- Insight into group dynamics, and the ability to develop and foster relationships.
- Ability to handle sensitive and confidential situations and documentation.
Work and Physical Requirements:
- Work environment: Normally a typical office environment with people, with minimal exposure to excessive noise or adverse environmental issues, with occasional outdoor exposure to heat, cold, and environmental elements.
- Physical demands: Manipulate, handle, feel, and control items or equipment. Able to read, write, and interpret written documents. Occasionally lift and move objects weighing up to 25 pounds.